Tuesday, September 2, 2014

More Hearts from Triangles

After rediscovering the triangle-to-heart transformation I described in my last post, I decided to look for other candidates, and I found one that I like a lot. I created a design I called Cube Illusion Triangle because the facet pattern top view looks like a stack of cubes. It is on www.facetdiagrams.org as design 13.110. There is a link to download the GemCad file at the bottom of that page.

Below it the design after I morphed it into a heart. I managed to work in the extra facets to round out the corners in a way that continues the other lines. The step 1 facets on the above pavilion just didn't fit in with the heart, so I went with what Sid Word of Portland, OR called a "mono pavilion." Sid was the king of checkerboard designs. He discovered that with a design with no table and lots of small facets on the crown, a simple, conical pavilion often works just fine. I posted the Cube Illusion Heart as design 10.061.
Note that the flat, top part of the heart does not have a level girdle (facet 7). Here is a screenshot from GemCad:

Would you like to try this technique yourself? Download the GemCad file and try it yourself. Hungry for more? Here are a couple that I enjoyed playing with: 

  • London Shield 13.090 by Dennis Durham
  • Brittania (Britannia) 13.039 by Robert Long

No comments:

Post a Comment